Sunday 4 February 2018

Running

Now then folks, a quick hundred-word story to get me thinking. These are darn hard to write, but really help one think about what's necessary and will have a meaningful impact and what is, essentially, chaff.


Running:

We’re running.

Feet pounding against hard, cracked mud; breathing ragged gasps torn from heaving chests. We can’t stop, can’t slow down, can’t even turn our heads to look behind; if we do, we know we’ll be lost. I stumble, but you save me, grab my arm as it swings wildly in a vain attempt to find balance. I scream at you to keep moving, keep free, but we both know you can’t leave me. Faster. 

This time you fall, thudding into the dirt. I hear your cry to keep moving, keep free and we both know I can leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment